Wednesday, November 30, 2011

''Hope will never be silent''

I am one of those people who is really bad about saying every single movie is my favorite.
I believe, though, it is fair to say a movie is my favorite of it's genre.
Milk is my favorite biopic.

Milk is based on the story of Harvey Milk, who was the 1st openly gay politician to be elected to San Francisco's Board of Supervisor's in the year 1977. He had failed to win the seat twice before, but he and his supporters on Castro never gave up hope. He broke down so many barriers against gay rights, and never stopped in fear of loosing his life. Harvey was a BIG contributor to the gay rights movement.

The movie chronicles Harvey Milk's life from his 40th birthday, up until his memorial a few days after his assassination.

Not only is this story amazing because it is so inspirational, but also because it's  being told by an all-star cast, including James Franco, Victor Garber, Josh Brolin, Alison Pill, Diego Luna, Emile Hirsch, and Sean Penn as Harvey.

I'm going to be honest, I had a serious thing against Emile Hirsch for the LONGEST time. Then I saw this movie, and I started liking him. I'm not sure why I didn't like him before, but he plays Cleve Jones, my 2nd favorite character in the story!

The movie came out in 2008, and won 2 Oscars.
One for Dustin Lance Black, for best writing/original screenplay.
The other for Sean Penn's performance.

Both very much deserved. (:

I also love the music for this movie. It makes me SO mad that Napster doesn't have the Milk soundtrack for free! I LOVE Danny Elfman, and all the music he composes. This is just another example of how wonderful he is!

The reason I wrote this particular blog post about this particular movie, is because 3 days ago was the 33 year anniversary of when Harvey Milk and Mayor Moscone were assassinated by Dan White.
This is in honor of one of the most inspirational men in political history.
Milk is a must see.

No comments:

Post a Comment