Sunday, November 27, 2011

It's beginning to look/smell/feel a lot like Christmas!!!

So my little brother Vincent loves Frosty the Snowman. Watching it literally 15 TIMES today has inspired this blog post for the night. (:

I have always loved the holidays. I am in love with anything peppermint, the music, the feeling of the season, the togetherness of family. But as you can guess, my favorite part of the holidays are the movies that we get to watch! (:

When I was 5 years old, I remember going to the movie theatre down the street and watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas for the first time. I laughed SO hard, and to this day I still laugh at the same exact parts! Somehow, this movie has become one of the best quotable movies of my childhood (and occasionally teenage years!). My favorite part, you may ask?

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=S6cAJHoUhiA

I do have other favorites though!
I grew up watching Irving Berlin's White Christmas, featuring Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney. I absolutely ADORE this movie! One of my favorite musicals! It's such a feel-good movie, with dancing, singing, romance, humor, and of course Christmas. I love the ''Choreography'' of the movie (and the song ;D ). I have to admit though, I am always annoyed with Vera-Ellen (who plays the character Judy). Why? Because in every single song/dance sequence she is in, she is constantly looking straight at the camera. I dunno, I'm a bit odd, but it really bothers me.
Otherwise, wonderful story line, and memorable music (:

I feel obligated to mention Meet Me in St. Louis.
It isn't necessarily just a Christmas time movie (trust me, I watch it year round!), but it has one of my favorite Christmas songs EVER in it. It is towards the end, when Judy Garland's character comes home from her family's supposed last dance in St. Louis (before they move to New York) and finds her little sister in her room, awake, waiting for Santa Claus to come. Judy sings ''Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas'', and the scene brings me to tears every time. Such a sad scene, and such a beautiful voice!

The rest of the holiday movies I love are the common cartoons: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

My favorite CARTOON Christmas movie though has got to be Santa Claus is Coming to Town, with the voice talents of Fred Astaire and Mickey Rooney. I prefer the story of how Santa came to be, and the music is fun and light-hearted! (:

Two special ones that I forgot to mention but LOVE: A Christmas Story and Elf.
I literally only watch A Christmas Story on TBS, when they play it for 24 hours Christmas Eve to Christmas night.
Elf, well, I watch that ANY opportunity possible! (:

1 comment:

  1. You have an amazing gift to intill the same kind of enthusiasm for the movies you love into the people who are reading this. I am blown away by how articulate and still whimsy all of your views come across. I know I am a bit impartial because I am your aunt, but the pride I am feeling brought me to tears. Can NOT wait to read your next installment!

    ReplyDelete